Skip to main content

*Why We Broke Up*

Title - Why We Broke Up
Arthor(s) - Daniel Handler
Art By - Maira Kalman
Pub. Date - 27th of December, 2011
Publisher - Hachette Book Group
N.Of.Pages - Three Hundred and Fifty-Four


The Summary on The Back of My Copy - I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened. Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.

What a Girl Wants in Her Books - This is the story of what happens after the love has gone. This is the tale of break up and heart ache. This is the tale of how the break up came to be. The kind of thing that usually does happen in the real world. The thing you never think will happen to you but happens anyway. And then you either pick up the pieces of your broken life and move on or if your more like me, you wonder how you could of changed the outcome of your life. What's really sad, is most of the time you can't change what happens. It just happens. Just as much as I love a good love story, I love a good break up story. I'm into sad things because it's fascinating to me. And it's easier for me to connect with. You always hear about you friends and their break up stories. How they are suffering because he/she is no longer in their life? We have all been there at least once in our lives. And if you haven't, then give it time. I can guarantee you that it will most likely happen to you. This book has done a lot for me though. It made me question Tom. It made me wonder if we were really right together. And it even helped convince me that I might be better off without him. But the thing was even though I knew that we didn't belong together, I pushed for us to be. Because I desperately didn't want it to be true. But wanting something to end doesn't mean it won't. 

When I first started to read this book, I had a hard time turning the pages. I thought the story was kind boring and just not really that enticing. I just couldn't get into the book. I think a part of the reason I couldn't get into it was it reminded me too much of my own relationship. No one wants to be reminded of their relationship, if it's not exactly the best. A guy who was there but wasn't. A guy who said things that he didn't exactly mean. After a while, when I was basically down about my own relationship, I would read this book. It sort of helped me with my own relationship and on the other hand it made me think I didn't really know much about the guy I was really with. I love the way the characters talk in this book. Min's friends are like her. They are all into the same things, which is almost too perfect. The wording is sometimes confusing and I'm not exactly sure who is speaking when the author doesn't make it known directly. But other than that, I don't have any problems with this book. I don't have anything against a little grammar mistake here and there. I personally think if an author and an editor can make a mistake then it seems more human. If you were hoping I would bash this book, then you are really coming to the wrong blog. 


I don't really relate to any of the characters. But the break up I can relate to. You are with someone, you think is amazing. And it turns out that they turn out to be a jerk. A person who manipulates you until he gets what he wants. A guy who doesn't care about you or truly wants to be with you. And since I am now suffering through a break up with a very unfriendly ending, I can relate to Min when she finds out her boyfriend is cheating on her with another girl. A girl he was already involved with. I have been lucky in my own past relationships because I have never been cheated on, which is like the worst kind of sin that a guy can commit if he's with someone. And I'm glad that this tragedy has never happened to me. It might of been the icing on the cake that really pushed me off the edge. I thought the book was great and it was a little hard to get into for me but I did finish it because I thought the ending was interesting. I like Al and his no opinion on everything. He just seems like a very interesting character. I think Min and Ed could of been a little more developed and a little less weird with some of their word and thought choices. 

Secretly I thought I was waiting for the guy that just broke up with me to come back to me. I thought he was everything I wanted. But it turned out we had nothing in common. And even though he gave us a second chance. It was half-heated and it never felt like it did, our first time around. I should of just let him go but I didn't. I fought for him. And now I'm single. There are perks to being single but sometimes I just don't want to be alone. I want someone who can be more than a friend to me. I want to find the right one. The right guy for me. I just hope he is out there somewhere for me, looking for me.

post signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Same Blog, New Design...!!!

Hey Everyone, Thank you, Twin Butterfly Designs for this awesome new layout that you created for my blog. I am so happy with my blog. It looks absolutely amazing. You were so much fun to work with and you had so many great ideas for this layout. If anyone is looking for a new layout for their blog, then check out Twin Butterfly Designs. I would recommend her to all of my friends.

Nine Lives too Short....!!!

Hey Everyone I've been working on making  on completing my job applications. Which would be a lot easier if I kept all my references in one place. But no, crazy organized girl can't seem to do that. Wow, that's just sad. I'll have to get some kind of system going on to keep all my current information together. Then bye bye crazy application problems. I signed up to take my Driver's License Test. I guess that's big news. I finally be able to drive. Which will be great for college, work, and smaller endeavors.  I'm super nervous. I feel so much could go wrong. The worst that could happen is that I can't parallel park or I can't follow the instructor's commands which should be pretty basic.I hope it is anyway. I've been keeping in contact with my boyfriend who lives in Fort Myers. Haha. Talk about long distance. I think I've been doing a pretty good job so far because I've kept in touch with him and I text him almost everyday.  I r

Unknown on Saturday's!

K is for Kim Possible! Kim Possible is probably the best show that Disney Channel has ever churned out. When I as younger, I loved watching Kim on Saturday Cartoons. She was a role model to me. I looked up to Kim Possible. I mean what little girl wouldn't want to be just like her. She's a cheerleader, not the most popular girl in High School, has the most awesome best friend and new boyfriend, and she saves the world. Who wouldn't want to save the world?  I mean if it was possible to be like Possible then I'd totally go for it. I love Kim and I love the show. I still watch the show when it's on from time to time, just to relive the experience and it's still the best show ever.